Blue is the New black

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Patricia Gray has mentioned Blue is the New Black at her blog . Blue remains timeless. It can be bold or quiet. I noted in an earlier blog that blue remains a popular color even the kitchen. Color communicates who we are. Bold colors for a free spirit. Demure colors for soft spoken types. It can also transmit a vibe. Do you feel best when at the beach, or are you invigorated by world travels and need to be surrounded with more exotic colors and elements?

Back splashes can be an opportunity to create a vibe for your space. Hard surfaces can play off of soft surfaces such as cushions & fabric.

From the most bold...

Shown here, variegated handmade glass tiles. Reminiscent of the ocean, by Erin Adams through Ann Sacks. Interior Design by Frank Roop and Dalia Kitchen Design.

Large Zen Weave in mottled blue, Ann Sacks tile

To the fanciful formal...


An interlocking oval in hand cut glass tiles in Ann Sacks silver and mineral presents itself as a whimsical yet formal pattern.

To the invigorating...

Ann Sacks Lake Garda Ceramic Art Tile in multiple hues of blue.

...and then there is the most subtle forms of blue.

Kitchen floor is bluestone with a sky blue fabric pallette. With 22 ft. ceilings the blue recedes. Designer David Klienberg, House Beautiful, April 2008.

From the most vibrant to the most subtle shades, blue is accepted everywhere.

10 comments:

Unknown,  April 24, 2008  

I love the blue tiles in these otherwise all-white kitchen and bathroom. Here's to Blue!!

User9827892,  April 25, 2008  

Yes,
What a statement they make, blue tiles. It's nice to step away from the travertine tiles.

Red River Interiors,LLC,  April 25, 2008  

love blue as the new black...also love kitchens and your blog.
thanks for adding me to your roll call...I also added you... Fay

Living the life in The Little City,  April 28, 2008  

When I first thought of blue in the kitchen, I rejected the idea. Then, after looking at the photo with those great tiles, I completely changed my mind. Thanks for this post.

User9827892,  April 28, 2008  

Yes, most definitely, the color blue, not typically reserved for a kitchen color, makes even the most seasoned designer rethink what we accept for color options in the kitchen.

Anonymous,  May 03, 2008  

I love the backsplash in the first picture! I've browsed through Ann Sack's web page, but I can't figure out which of the Erin Adams tiles/colors/finishes are used. Do you happen to know?

Thanks!

Ann,  May 11, 2008  

Blues are calming, cool and refreshing. Nice blue tiles in there...But it is not wise to overdo the use of blue...IMHO too much blue will make the space cold and depressing. That's why they call it the blues.:)

Nice blue spaces you featured in there.

Anonymous,  June 19, 2008  

I like the color Blue it is is mysterious, moody, classic, timeless, calming, and refreshing. It can have a glossy finish or be totally matte. It is beautiful when contrasted with pure white.

Anonymous,  June 25, 2008  

Blue is so cool... and can even blend into many different colors... I never thought that blue could look so good even in the kitchen :)

Anonymous,  August 13, 2008  

I like it. Color is a key ingredient because it makes the first impression of a room on our senses, so setting the mood is your primary concern.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!
However, I reserve the right to delete comments that are not constructive to the subject at hand.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

CPSC Recall Feed

Shop Kitchen Design Notes

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP