The Power of Restaint
Sunday, June 29, 2008

Here is a picture I have added to my clip board of my favorite kitchens right now. I have the one from the magazine on my clip board in my office since April. It is getting a little tattered. I found more photos of it on line for you at House Beautiful. Designed by Suzanne Kasler, photographed for House Beautiful, April 2008. For more gorgeous views of this Normandy styled home please visit the link here to House Beautiful. It is wonderful to dream of having a new kitchen, isn't it? If I could own more then one home, I know what style kitchens would be in my dream homes, what would yours be?
wouldn't it be a dream to maintain at least three homes?
Each would have a theme of it's own
My three dream homes:
(1) would be in a quaint beach community with views of the ocean and have an herb garden outside my kitchen door. It would be a cottage styled painted kitchen. Easy access to the outdoors. It would be a Green Built home, energy efficient and chemical free. I could bike ride to the weekly farmers market. I see this dream cottage on a hillside in Pacific Palisades.
(2) would be located in a luxury high rise building. Dark cabinets, high gloss off white Silestone or Caesarstone counter tops, glass tile back splash. Simple, small and modern. Located in Las Vegas, like the Turnberry Luxury Apts. at the MGM or a hip and modern loft in New York City. It would be my weekend escape to shop, catch a show and enjoy the nightlife.
(3) My third home has got to be in Sedona, Arizona. The kitchen would have cool adobe walls, simplicity of materials, rustic woods, an ancient kitchen table instead of an island in the kitchen. A gorgeous view of the mountains for tranquility and a place to paint would be all I would need.
What works so beautifully in this kitchen is the restrained use of color. The boldest use of color comes from the tangerine color of the tulips. The formality of the Louis XV chairs dressed down in Donghia's relaxed linen fabric in storm, against the rustic antique farm table adds life and warmth to the neutral palette. Silver leaf chandelier by Niermann Weeks.
The counters look to be made of limestone, although honed Caesarstone could be used in place, for easier maintenance. Grey Herringbone Sisal area rug on the floor; well that is the only item I fear will be an agitation. Tripping over it, staining it, I am afraid that would drive me crazy trying to keep it clean. I would stain the hardwood floors slightly darker and leave it at that. I love this kitchen.

3 comments:
Oh if I have 3 houses, the three kitchens would be...hmmm....I'd love a rustic kitchen, an all-white with a splash of cool blue kitchen, and an ultra-modern one.
Wish I'll get it in the soonest possible time.:) Loved this post.
White is always a fan favorite.
I want one too.
I often tell my friends I can't design for myself because I like too many styles and that I need 3 homes. It's good to know others are the same way.
Post a Comment