Prefab? FABULOUS

Monday, January 12, 2009

When architect Michelle Kaufmann and her husband set out to purchase an affordable green home, to no avail, they decided to build there own. Thus a new company was born out of a need for clean, affordable green living.

Prefab has never looked so good. Michelle Kaufmann's prefabricated homes are a far cry from what we are used to seeing. Her designs are unbelievably cool and modern and affordable. If you are a fan of Frank Gehry and Michael Graves, the influence may be present as Kaufmann previous architectural experience included working for both architects.


Kaufmann's designs bring modern, affordable sustainable living to a new generation of home buyers. The beauty of the design is in the eco-friendly materials used. What's more, Kaufmann makes a reasonable argument for prefab designs. She is quoted as saying, "In countries like Japan, many homes are factory made, resulting in 50 to 75 percent less waste than is generated by building the typical American House. When you think about custom homes built on site, it doesn't make any sense, it's like asking to have a car built in your driveway."

There are six exclusive models from which to choose from. Home sizes range from a mere 725 square feet to 2,400 square feet.

Home costs typically start at $250 to $300 per square foot. Custom built homes start at $400 per square foot. Costs include all construction costs aside from the cost of the land. Typical construction time: 12-14 months.


What's more, you can try before you buy. The Reid House, located at Lake Chelan as a vacation rental, and featured in "Sunset & Dwell" magazines, offers an opportunity to experience green living in a tranquil environment and modern prefab structure with luxurious amenities. Rates vary seasonally, from $175 per night to $300 per night.

Photos below from Reid House.



3 comments:

Anonymous,  January 12, 2009  

I totally agree. Michelle Kaufmann is an amazing architect. It was her homes that first caught my eye. Now, I'm so crazy about her homes and others like it, I made a site called www.theprefabs.com that helps me stay on top of the all the modern prefab homes including Michelle Kaufmann's.

User9827892,  January 12, 2009  

Thanks Doug for the link to theprefabs.com

I agree with you, I really love this concept. I want one.

Anonymous,  January 12, 2009  

We own a prefab ourselves since 1996. http://www.werkhaus.eu.com/
It's wonderful!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!
However, I reserve the right to delete comments that are not constructive to the subject at hand.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

CPSC Recall Feed

Shop Kitchen Design Notes

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP