Easy Greening for your Kitchen

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

I am guilty of two things:
1). one is making enough time in my day to work out. I know I should get up earlier to make time to walk 30 minutes or work out after work. Oh, the excuses. First excuse: I need to use my quiet time in the morning to focus on writing purchase orders before the phone starts ringing and the distractions start. 2nd excuse: I am too exhausted at the end of the day to work out.

2.) the second thing I am guilty of is not writing in my blog often enough. I admit, this is a fun addiction, but like working out, it is something I have to make time for in my day.

With all the information coming at us everyday, I have to limit what I can put on my "to do list" everyday. If I can do something to simplify my life, I am all for it, that includes what I buy.

One thing I do well is watching out for what I buy and my efforts to "keep green" where I can.
I want to share with you some great tips I read at Green Living . The article, written by Melissa Breyer, is called Kitchen Plastic: Easy Greening. Did you know there are easy things you can do to "get going with Green"? She shows you how to protect yourself from "toxic" plastic. Then she offers some great alternatives to plastic.

With all the "identifiers" for plastics to determine which are toxic and which are not,
you almost need to carry a cheat sheet with you when shopping at the grocery store! Actually, if you print her tips and fold it in your wallet, it tucks away nicely! It's really a good idea to know about safer options. We do all we can to eat healthy and exercise to keep our minds and body in top shape, but don't forget that how we accept our food packaging and how we dispose of it is just as important. Did you know that plastic packaging can last a 1000 years in a landfill?

The next time you go grocery shopping, think about the packaging. Tell the grocery store manager you want alternative packaging methods to plastic. Hand them Melissa Breyer's article. Cutting plastic out of our lives will take some weaning at first but we can do it! Admittingly, despite keeping at least half a dozen canvas shopping bags in my trunk, on occasion I forget to bring them with me into the market. So back to Guilty Item # 1, next time I forget my canvas shopping bags in my car, I can accomplish two tasks on my to do list by running back to my car to get my canvas bags!
Happy shopping!
Laurie

3 comments:

Anonymous,  November 01, 2007  

Laurie, good thoughts. And, I'm glad I'm not the only one making excuses for not working out! I had such good intentions this morning, I was going to go on my bike, and it didn't happen. Oh well.

Great stuff on plastics. I just heard something about that on the news yesterday about how long it lasts. ugh. What a thought. Thanks for the reminders. I guess discipline must be found across lots of areas in one's life.

Anonymous,  November 01, 2007  

Thanks for the Kitchen Plastics link Laurie! Great info!

Peggy

User9827892,  November 10, 2007  

Thanks for the comments. Interestingly enough, I just heard a commercial on the radio put out by the plastic industry in support of what else...using more plastic.

As long we all get in the habit of recycling so that our plastic does not end up in landfills and our oceans. The motto for clean and green living is is Reduce! Reuse! and Recycle!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!
However, I reserve the right to delete comments that are not constructive to the subject at hand.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

CPSC Recall Feed

Shop Kitchen Design Notes

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP